Thursday, March 01, 2007


BOLIVIAN BEAT HITS A 100!

I dedicate the Bolivian Beat's 100th post to my father, JWD Samuel and mother, RubyYesudian (lady on his left)

FATHER

Dad was a male nurse. He was born in Penang but returned to India, as a boy, with his parents and siblings. His father had made some money and was determined to make it big in his homeland. The great depression however wiped out the old man's savings. He had no means to care adequately for the family. My father, the eldest son, had no choice but to return, as a teenager, to what was then called Malaya. He studied, worked and sent money back to help his dad.

It must have been tough because he probably lived on on the generosity of relatives and friends in Malaya.

My father, because of his own experience, was sensitive to the needs of the downtrodden. On more than one occasion he helped the poor and needy at the expense of his own family. My mother was annoyed at his generosity! We used to call him Appa - a term of endearment amongst Indians only reserved for fathers. A voracious reader with a social conscience, dad was a self-made man. He worked his way from a rural setting to the emerging urban centres in Malaysia and Singapore. Appa saw it all - the Japanese occupation, liberation, independance, merger, racial riots, separation between Malaysia and Singapore. Dad was a verbal historical archive who passionately believed that Singapore and Malaysia were one country, Malaya.

In terms of faith, he was, as a high church Anglican, totally convinced of the eucharist's power to mediate God's saving grace. Long sermons made him bristle. It was my priviledge to serve him the sacrament a month before he was called home. He loved football and was an ardent Liverpool fan.

Sam, as he was affectionally called by his friends, was 82 years old when he passed away. One day he slipped, fell awkwardly and broke his hip; there was no one in the house. He crawled to the phone and rang for help. An ambulance took him to hospital; complications developed. 3 months later he went to glory. As he was slipping away I was preaching a sermon in Bolivia on laying everything aside and carrying the cross.

MOTHER

My mother, Ruby, was born and raised in Singapore. We call her Amma. Her father was proof-reader in a big publishing house; his wife was a strict homemaker; they were both first generation immigrants. I have 2 uncles and 1 aunt from this side of the family. My mother stilll scares us with stories of our grandmother rubbing chillie powder in their eyes if they misbehaved.

Mum kept home and raised 4 children (I was the youngest) in some very difficult circumstances. She fed and clothed us with the little that was available. Education was important: she tried to help us by engaging tutors. They don't come any better than my mother. Her diligence and perseverance in the face of trials have always inspired me. Amma introduced me to the joys of reading by buying 2nd hand comics for her children. And most importantly was her gift of a Bible for my confirmation. It was a life-changing gift. This little bible triggered a process which saw me through everything - from my conversion through to the call to serve in Bolivia.

In her early 50's, we were all taken by surprise when mum was filled with the Holy Spirit; her life changed dramatically. She took several courses, learned to play the guitar, sang choruses to old folks and worked as a social worker and counsellor. The hours were long and draining but she felt fulfilled. My mother, blessed with an innate ability to empathize, is a highly gifted listener. The years however have taken its toll in her retirement; she is frail but not ailing and looks forward to seeing her grandchildren and her great grandchild.

Were my parents fallible? Did they have weaknesses? Yeah of course...but that doesn't really matter; they were great parents and continue to inspire me on many different levels. In difficult times, and believe me there were several, they simply stayed together.

Thank you Appa and Amma!!

God bless both my parents!!

The black and white photo above is ancient (thanks to my cousin David for sending it to me):
On my mother's left is my elder brother Reuben; on my father's right is my elder sister Rebecca; next to her is Rachel - the eldest in the family- on her left is my Aunty Ranee.

8 comments:

blogpastor said...

What a wonderful legacy your parents gave you. That's an interesting bit of family history. You are a real chip of the old block, only with a Spirit-filled, and Spirit-educated, vision of God and his church.

raphael said...

yeah...I think you maybe right

Anonymous said...

That's a truly beautiful story. I am sure your Appa and Amma are extremely proud of you.
You must wish, sometimes, that they were both physically close to or beside you, just to hear what they have to say, or just, being beside you.
Sorry, I referred to your mum as Judy. (in one of my emails to you)...well...at least i was close.
Have a good day.
Sierra Quebec.

Raphael Samuel said...

yes..sob.. I miss them both...terribly and regret not expressing love for my father when he was around.

Tis the same with my mother..coming to Bolivia has been a very costly experience for her. I should be grateful for the time that I still have with her.

Judy and Ruby sorta rhymes.

The Lord is somehow in control of it all.

Anonymous said...

What to do???.....Raphael, life still has to go on. Even if sometimes, during your weak moments, you want it just to stop.
I am sure your dad must look down from heaven, and be so proud of you..and say "....look, thats my little boy...see how well he has come along."
What more, our Father, who even if, we take the wings of the morning...yet He is there.
Hang in there...Raphael!!
Warmest regards to your mum.
Sierra Quebec.

raphael said...

My mother learned how to use the computer and we exchange emails.

Rachel said...

Hi Raph. That was a neat write-up about our parents. Dad would have been so proud of you. By the way, i don't know if he would have accepted the label 'male nurse'. In our part of the world, 'Chief Hospital Assistant' carried more weight. If there wasn't a doctor around, you can safely trust the hospital assistant to deputise him. Do you remember ever going to a doctor? I can't because appa had all the remedies. People said he had 'kairasi' ie healing hands!

Raphael Samuel said...

Great to hear from my sister eldest sister Rachel

yup..he was chief hospital assistant. Problem is that many don't know that hospital assistants were inbetween doctors and nurses not attendants. To avoid confusion I have had to use the humbler but more understandable term "male nurse".